The Stupinigi hunting lodge was built by order of Victor Amadeus II of Savoy as a shooting lodge. The design and construction of the building and its decorations were assigned to Filippo Juvarra, who transformed the original shooting lodge into a genuine representative royal palace.
The construction work on the central system, which began in 1729, was completed in just a couple of years and the building was inaugurated in 1731. Nonetheless, the embellishment and expansion of the complex went on throughout the whole of the Sixteenth century and included, among other things the construction of two side wings.
The central reception room of the palace is undoubtedly the area which gained it its reputation for magnificence. Oval in shape, it is three storeys high and is embellished with a dome covered in copper and with majestic windows.
On the outside, the dome is decorated with a sculpture of a deer by Francesco Ladatte. This work, like other paintings, frescoes and statues, was meant to symbolise the original function of the building.
The Stupinigi Hunting lodge was a spectator to the alternating fates of the Italian monarchy. Used to host parties and gatherings for the Piedmontese aristocracy, Napoleon turned it into his country residence during his reign and, from 1803, he also invited Paolina Bonaparte to stay. In 1842, it was used for the wedding of Victor Emanuel II and Maria Adelaide di Lorena, while between 1900 and 1919, it was used by queen Margherita as her summer residence.
The building, which is listed as a “World Heritage Site” by UNESCO, is furnished with original period furniture and houses the Museum of Art and Furniture.
The Chiesa della Visitazione (Church of the Visitation) is in close proximity to the Hunting lodge. The simplicity of the temple contrasts considerably with the rest of the palace, yet the poverty of the furnishings and décor depend on the fact that this church was intended for the farmers from the nearby farmhouses, while the Savoy family went to Mass in a chapel inside the palace.
Stupinigi Hunting Lodge in Nichelino
Piazza Principe Amedeo 7 Stupinigi
Nichelino - Torino
Discounts with Torino+Piemonte Card
What to see in Turin
» Superga Basilica
» Rivalta Castle
» Cortile del Maglio - ex Arsenale Militare (The coolest and most avant-guard night clubs in Turin)
» Galleria Sabauda - Savoy Gallery
» Mole Antonelliana
» Museo Egizio - Egyptian museum
» Museo dell'automobile - Car museum
» Museo della Sacra Sindone - Museum of Shroud
» Orto Botanico - Botanical Garden
» Palazzo Madama
» The Royal Palace - Palazzo Reale
» Palaisozaki & Punti di Vista
» Archaeological park in the "Quadrilatero"
» Turin platform and the Red Arch (La "Passerella" e l'Arco Rosso)
» Piazza Vittorio
» Dora district: Dora Park; Media Village; Environment Park; Chiesa del Santo Volto
» The Spina Centrale: the fountains-Igloo by Mario Merz; Opera per Torino by Per Kirkeby; Albero Giardino by Giuseppe Pennone
Main Attractions in the surroundings of Turin